Tuesday, July 5, 2011

regular maintenance required

I'm writing this sitting in the x-ray dept waiting room. Six weeks ago I broke my leg when I fell getting into my car. I'm here to see if it's healed and the cast can come off today. It's the second time I broke my leg, the last time was in 86. To this day I don't know how I did it the first time.

I'm 35 years into my life as a quad. I have regular bone density tests (sort of regular), as we quads have a tendency to have weak bones, particularly in our lower body. I take medication to strengthen my bones and try to take lots of calcium and vitamin D. I do this even though I still see myself as indestructible in many ways.

The reality is that I'm going to continue pushing my limits, and I'm sure I'll fall again. I don't know how to live any other way. But I'm going to have to acknowledge that I'm getting older, and that it just makes good sense to keep the body in the best working order possible.

*postscript: the cast has been removed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment