Friday, July 1, 2011

limits

As you 'grow' into your new life, you'll find there is no road map. What you can and can't do will only become clear as you test your limits. Sometimes pushing yourself may hurt.

A few years into my disability I went on a canoe trip, where there were 4 quad and 4 non-disabled participants. Things were carefully planned, and having had my own canoe in the past I was excited. But we weren't prepared for a storm that came in overnight. We got caught in a heavy rain storm and the temperature dropped quickly. When we made it back to the main camp, I huddled close to a small heater in the cabin. What I didn't realize, is that although I was cold and wet, while leaning on the heater the heat was going through my heavy sweater and burning my arm. The next morning I woke up with 3rd degree burns on my arm. Looking back on it, what I remember is that I survived, and was proud that I tested my limits.

And it makes for a great story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment