Sunday, June 19, 2011

motivation

Nothing gets you places like motivation. I know it's worked for me. As a young boy I loved going for drives with my dad, wherever we went. As soon as it was legal, I had a drivers' license. I have always loved driving. Once I became a quad, there were a number of barriers to getting back behind the wheel, but the motivation was strong and I still enjoy getting into my car, no matter what the destination.

One of my strongest motivations has always been making my father proud. Throughout my life my father and I have shared more of a friendship that father and son bond. That's not to say he hasn't been tough on me when he had to, because he has. I'm not sure how the desire to make him proud developed, but it's gotten me far in my life.

I remember once hearing about him telling a business associate with pride, how much I had accomplished despite my disability. I still get a warm feeling remembering that. Looking at where I am, I've got some awesome friends, done some good work in my careers, achieved a BFA, MA, and a degree in Art Therapy, have a nice home, a car I love to drive, and it all came from tapping into my motivations. Find yours, whatever they may be and use them to your advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment