Tuesday, June 21, 2011

choices

Some of you may have heard about the quad who was taken off a Frontier Airlines flight by police, at the pilot's request. From what I can tell, the pilot felt it wasn't safe for the quad to be flying, due in part to the fact he was restrained to his seat, his upper body being strapped in. Whether he was concerned about a potential lawsuit in case of injury or the passenger's safety we don't know.

I've flown many times and often alone. I don't have much back strength and am always anxious at landings, concerned that the forward force might be too much and I'll fall forward in my seat. I don't expect I would suffer much more than embarrassment, and that wouldn't be the first time. I also know that should there be an emergency evacuation, I'd be totally dependent on someone deciding to help me get out. When I fly, I fully accept that if it were to happen I might never make it off. That's the reality of my life and the situation, and I accept it. I chose to live rather than hide from life. This man wasn't given that option. This captain took away the right of that quad to live his life the way he chose. At what point is that decision no longer ours to make?

1 comment:

  1. Jacques, my cousin the priest, Cyril Axelrod, who is deaf blind was given a very hard time by one of the air lines. They don't take into consideration that he lives his life independently, travels the world constantly (with other airlines), and informed him he may no longer fly with them unless accompanied by an assistant. The story is longer, they treated him with a lack of respect and dignity. We are now facilitating a hearing through the Canadian Air Transportation Agency with regard to this and basic rights. The airline didn't want to discuss all our issues so we have foregone mediation and will go to a hearing. Will keep you updated. I'm actually sure it will end up in the media. Your blog is an extraordinary insight into living life fully. You are incredible... xoxo

    ReplyDelete