Sunday, June 12, 2011

best and worst

So I'm often asked what the worst part of being disabled is... without hesitation it's having to repeatedly keep tucking my shirt/sweater down my back.  Something about the damn fabric of the chair back keeps pulling my sweaters up every time I move... frustrating!  Whatever problem you might be facing, being able to think creatively will get you far.  No matter how many devices and products there are out there, I've found that they rarely work as well as putting something together that fits my needs, usually with duck tape.  A trip to your local Home Depot can be very inspirational.  I've dragged more than a few friends along on  my expeditions.  You just never know what you'll come out with!  Another great source of inspiration is other quads... who better to know what works.  Don't be scared to ask!

I've have been asked a few times about what is the 'up' side of being disabled... I have to admit the parking is a big plus.  It may sound strange to admit that there are perks, but they are there.  You can hide out in a crowd easily, push through a crowd a la 'bulldozer' style, and when I lived in Toronto, you could actually park in 'no parking' zones!  It's always fun to watch people's reaction when you pull up in a sports car and out pops a wheelchair... lol. 
I'd love to hear some of your stories.... anyone want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment